MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Data Warehouse Developer is a productive professional who is responsible for the delivery of data and information relating to Business Intelligence from the enterprise data warehouse to the organization using competencies and skills acquired, to complete the substantive assignments/tasks/projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, develop and modify relational and multidimensional database structures, relationships, data flows and data interfaces within the data warehouse as needed
- Understand thoroughly the architecture, data structures and fundamental design principles of the data warehouse
- Analyse and modify the data structures within the data warehouse to adapt them to the business needs and add enhanced functionality
- Use programming languages, software development methods, “best practice” programming techniques and department standards guides to develop new data warehouse structures and reports and to modify existing ones
- Consult with business to gather information about needs, objectives, functions, performance expectations and input and output requirements. Identify and propose technical alternatives to solving business requests and system problems and recommend the best alternative
- Follow department standards and create written documentation and diagrams as required and/or requested. Documentation may include technical specifications, technical alternatives, structure charts, data flow diagrams, etc. for both new functionality and for modifications to existing functionality.
- Provide Data Warehouse Development knowledge, experience, and expertise as an active team member
- Serve as a technical resource for Data Warehouse Application Development. Maintain proficiency in current data warehouse development platforms, languages, and opportunities
- Provide on-going production support for enterprise data warehouse
- Provide production support including problem analysis and resolution. Verify integration during system upgrades and changes.
- Find opportunities to improve processes, quality assurance and service to business stakeholders
- Identify and implement improvements to code for increased performance, efficiency, reliability, maintainability, and extensibility.
- Analyse large databases and recommend appropriate optimisation
- Consult and collaborate with business users, database administrators, application administrators to solve technical and/or system problems
- Assist in problem resolution to the team through problem research
- Your goal will be to build efficient solutions that solve business challenges in a fast-paced environment
- You will be required to research new technologies from time to time, specifically where they relate to the strategic direction of the business, or a current project
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
- You will work independently and as part of a team with general supervision.
- You will be required to exercise judgement within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action.
- You will also provide guidance and assistance to entry level developers and/or support other team members
- You will be required to estimate solution development and delivering solutions against those estimates
- Projects will range from small, distinct pieces of work to long term program engagements
- You will be expected to deliver quality work on your assigned projects
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Matric / Grade 12
- Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred) or equivalent
- Prefer degree concentration in: Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or Computer Science
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a data warehouse developer or similar position preferred
- Experience in working with Microsoft BI Tools (SQL/SSIS/SSAS/SSRS/PowerBI)
- Hands-on experience with ETL tools
- Sound knowledge of SQL
- Experience with SQL databases ie. MSSQL, MySQL, PostgreSql
- Experience designing, developing and implementing Data Warehouse solutions
- Ability to proactively research solutions and best practices
BEHAVIOURAL AND COMPETENCY REQUIRED
- Analytical and troubleshooting skills with technical subjects and tasks
- Ability to present and explain complex technical topics, problems, alternative solutions to others
- Experience with software document and version control
- Experience in estimating solution development and delivering solutions against those estimates
- Strong written and oral communication
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain professional relationships
- Enjoys working independently as well as within a team environment
- Ability to coordinate and manage simultaneous data requests
- Problem solving and follow through
- Pragmatic and thorough
- Self-starter who takes ownership
- Outcomes orientated
- Adaptability and flexibility in deliverables
- Able to work under pressure
- Proven abilities to take initiative and be innovative
Salary: R53 000-R60 000 (Total cost to company).
NB: Thank you for choosing Talksure as your employer of choice. Please note that if you do not hear from us within 14 working days after the closing date of the advert, please regard your application as unsuccessful. We wish you well in your future endeavors.